Transmitting Antennas

Auckland Radio ZLD transmitter site in Oliver Rd
Auckland Radio ZLD transmitter site in Oliver Rd, Bucklands Beach. Photo: Paul Chamberlin

The Oliver Road transmitting site of Auckland Radio ZLD had a selection of 29 aerials spread over an area of 35 acres. Miles of underground cables connected the transmitters with the main building.

The transmitting site covered what is now the Ocean Point subdivision and the playing fields at Maclean’s College.

Transmission masts at Auckland Radio
Transmission masts at Auckland Radio, 29 Aug 1946. Photo: Whites Aviation, Alexander Turnbull Library
Looking up one of the transmission towers at Auckland Radio
Looking up one of the transmission towers at Auckland Radio, 29 Aug 1946. Photo: Whites Aviation, Alexander Turnbull Library

MPRG member Paul Chamberlain ZL1BBR, who was a technician at Auckland Radio, recalls that the Dansk and Nautel MCW transmitters each had their own Marconi Tee antennas (similar to the 500 kHz amateur radio antenna which can now be seen at Musick Point). Each antenna had a tuner inside a small hut at the feed point.

The tower supporting one end of the Dansk Marconi Tee was loaded up just above its base and used for 2 MC/s SSB. “This worked very well,” says Paul.

The 6-channel JRC transmitter used a conical monopole antenna with a frequency range of about 3-30 MC/s.

The Harris transmitter had its own conical monopole antenna.

Two Marconi Tee aerials at the Auckland Radio ZLD transmitter site
Two Marconi Tee aerials at the Auckland Radio ZLD transmitter site. Photo: Paul Chamberlin
Conical monopole (centre) and Marconi Tee aerial at Auckland Radio ZLD transmitter site
Conical monopole and Marconi Tee transmitting antennas for Auckland Radio. Photo: Paul Chamberlin
Transmitter building and tower, Auckland Radio ZLD
Transmitter building and tower, Auckland Radio ZLD. Photo: Paul Chamberlin