Notes on above photo:
In the background is visible the Marconi DF and the remote control for the AWA Transmitter (#100 on 500/390 kHz) used in conjunction with the direction finder for RT contacts with shipping and aircraft as required.
– Morris, D.C. (2002). Auckland Radio: Alpha & omega, (p 54)
The Musick Memorial Radio Station was officially opened by New Zealand Prime Minister Peter Fraser on 12 January, although it had been in operation since 1939.
On 19 May, two representatives of the RNZAF reportedly damaged the medium wave direction finding system at Musick Point, while taking photos for the Air Force.
During World War 2, the station conducted numerous services under Post Office control. These included coastal services for shipping, naval intelligence (DF watches), civil and military aviation.
Auckland Radio established a high-speed radiotelegraph link with the RCA station in San Francisco, as a backup in case cables were attacked.2
After the war, coastal shipping and civil aviation services remained at Musick Point.
1 Morris, D.C. (2002). Auckland Radio: Alpha & omega, (p 60), Auckland, New Zealand.
2 Wilson, A.C. (1994). Wire and wireless: A history of telecommunications in New Zealand 1890-1987, (p 138), Palmerston North, New Zealand: Dunmore Press.