Evening Post, 14 August 1941, p 5
Radiotelephone service for small ships
“A radiotelephone service to and from small ships has been inaugurated on behalf of the Marine Department,” states the annual report of the Post and Telegraph Department.
“The service commenced from Wellington Radio on March 16, 1941. The necessary equipment will shortly be installed at Musick Point and Awarua to enable the service to be extended to those stations.”
“It is expected that wide use will be made of the new service and that eventually all small ships trading on the New Zealand coast will be equipped for radio-telephone communication with the shore.”